Among Patzcuaro main attractions are:
La Casa de los Once Patios (the House of the Eleven Squares), Built in 1742 to houses Dominican nuns, this rambling houses today is home to several small craft shops touting a great variety of wares from regional artisans.
El Calvario (Calvary), Friar Marcos Ramirez del Prado built this chapel in 1666 on the site of what had been a "yacata", or Purepecha pyramid containing the remains of the Emperor Tariacuri.
The water basin of San Miguel, Traditional has it that many years ago the women who frequented this basin to take water to their homes were observed by the devil. To scare him away, Don Vasco de Quiroga ordered the installation of an archangel image. The statue has been replaced repeatedly due to weathering.
Templo y Hospital de San Juan de Dios (Church and Hospital of San Juan of God), This neoclassical-style church has vaulted ceilings and cupolas and decorated lintels. Its most salient feature is the simple baroque-style entryway. Inside are painting that once hung in the Church of San Agustin. This building was founded and built in the mid-17th century and renovated in 1841.
La Virgen de la Salud Basilica, Don Vasco de Quiroga, the first bishop of Michoacan, built the Basilica on top of a pre-Hispanic ceremonial center. It served as the cathedral until 1580. The Virgin of Health, the patron saint of the region, is honored here with a beautiful statue modeled of maize paste, which dates from the 16th century. Don Vasco de Quiroga's remains are entombed immediately on the left upon entering. This is the most important temple in Patzcuaro, having achieved the status of basilica in 1924 . Built in the XVI century
Museum of popular art and industry, In the 16th century this was the headquarters of the School of San Nicolas. Today it is a museum with, among other exhibits, one of the finest collections of lacquer work and "maque", or sumac lacquer. The floors throughout the building demonstrate the 18th century design of flagstone and animal bone, popular in those days in the entryways of states.
Church and School of the society of Jesus, Though construction was not initiated until the middle of the 17th century, the project originally dated from the 16th century. The tower contains a clock that. according to legend, was sent away from Spain for having tolled an unlucky hour for a Spanish monarch. Today this building serves as the Houses of Culture.
El Humilladero (The place of Humiliation), Built in the XVII century, this was the original entrance to Patzcuaro. The chapel is one of the oldest the city. In 1553 Don Vasco de Quiroga had a sculpture of the crucifixion of Christ made of one piece of quarrystone and placed where it could be venerated by the travelers who entered and left the city. This site is also where the Purepechas surrendered, recognizing the Spanish as their sovereign rules.
(The little Hospital),
that this was the oldest church/hospital in Patzcuaro.
Plaza Vasco de Quiroga, This grand plaza with is towering trees, impressive fountain, and surrounded by lovely colonial buildings, is considered by many to be none of the most beautiful in the America's.
Huitzimengari Palace, Antonio de Huitzimengari was son of the last Purepecha ruler and godson of Viceroy Antonio de Mendoza. Huitzimengari was fluent in Herbrew, Greek, Latin, Castillan Spanish, and Purepecha. Today his mansion houses several craft stalls.
El Templo de San Francisco (San Francisco Church) , Built in the XVI century, Within this electric-style temple is preserved a Christ statue made of maize paste. The door of the cloister is one of the most beautiful Renaissance-style works in Patzcuaro.
Plazuela de San Francisco (Small square of San Francisco, This lovely, peaceful plaza has a fountain and, on its east side, a bust of Do®a Margarita Maza de Juarez, wife of former President Mexico Benito Juarez. Also facing this plaza is the Portal of Salazar.
Fuerte el Torito (Fountain of the little bull, This used to be site of one of Patzcuaro typical fountains. Legend has it that a man fell off his horse and died here. City authorities accused the fountain of homicide and, after a long judicial deliberation, condemned it to be moved elsewhere.
Ex-Convento de San Agustin, Built in 1576, the temple is now a public library. Visit this site to see the mural by Juan O'Gorman and Calzontzin Theater next door, constructed over the remains of the monastery.
Plaza Gertrudis Bocanegra, Formerly the Plaza of San Agustin, this is the second most important plaza in Patzcuaro. In the middle of the plaza is a bronze statue of Do®a Gertrudis Bocanegra, a Patzcuaro native and a heroine of the War of Independence.
El Santuario de Guadalupe, Construction was begun on this church in 1693, and it was the sanctuary of Our Lady of Health for 191 years. In 1893 select decorative elements were added.
Templo del Santuario (Sanctuary Church), Of neoclassical style, this temple was built in the early 19th century. 4 of the original sculptures of the 7 Virtudes remain in the church set on pedestals in the tower facade. The sculptures represent Charity, Temperance, Fortitude, and Faith.
.In Patzcuaro, you can find beautiful handicrafts such as, lacquer ware with gold layers, jewelry, furniture and embroideries
Friday is market day in Patzcuaro.
More Patzcuaro Photos (click each camara icon)
Photos of Quiroga town (click each camara icon)
• Michoacan State
People who are reading this page right now visiting from...