Fuerte de San Diego
On April 14 of 1579 Felipe II declares, by Real Certificate, to Acapulco as only port commercial between America and Asia, the Port was intended to receive and to dispatch the Galleon of Manila, as well as to the few ships originating from Peru, Chile and America Central.
The Consortium that was supporting the trade requested several Viceroy that protected the Port of the pirates and it was Diego Fern�ndez de Cordoba who commissioned to the engineer Dutch Adrian Boot to accomplish the project of a fortification that is characterized for its form of irregular polygon; such be began to build in 1615 and was ended in April of 1617.
Due to earthquake of 1776 was collapsed the original Fort of San Diego -that there is operated by more than 150 years-, because of this was built a new Fort that inherited the name of the first. This, that it remained built in 1783, lasts until our days.
The building is unique by its design, in it were applied architectural concepts more advanced of the era, this characteristic converts it into a master work of the military engineering of all the times. Its plant, in a way pentagonal, permits the self-defense by all the flanks, furthermore surrounds it a dry pit. Would house to two thousand men with provisions and ammunitions for a year, since account with an efficient system to capture, concentrate and preserve the rainwater and numerous domed rooms about central courtyard. The set has a surface of 9,000 m2.
To the beginning of the Independence War (principles of the century XIX), the Fort or Castle of San Diego, it was stage of one of the war actions more notable; Don Miguel Hidalgo orders to the General Morelos to organize them the campaign of the South and Takes of Acapulco in 1811; having fulfilled this the "Commander of the South" Emiliano Zapata, would pronounce the famous phrase:
Espa�a , hermana, no dominadora de America !
counts on 10
1. The prehispanic
inhabitants of Acapulco
2. The Chapel of the Fort of San Diego
Originally it was devoted to the religious trades, today contains different heights in wood with religious motives.
Once they pacified the different regions of Guerrero state and due to the safety that was offering the bay of Acapulco, with the spirit of extending their dominances, the Spanish wreath chose this port as access door to the valuable commercial exchange that was meaning east due to its spices production, silk, porcelain, ivory and other, for such effect were sent advanced religious missionaries.
In a principle this place was occupied by the kitchen of the fortification. Today in day the environment that had in past eras has been recreateed with accuracy.
The territory that occupies currently the Guerrero state was one of the first in those which incursion Hern�n Cortes, attracted by its mineral wealth and the existence of "other sea".
The galleons were heavy ships - of more than 2,000 tons - equipped for the self-defense and whose form was hindering the boarding from other ship. The galleons that were covering the route Acapulco-Philippines were known as Galleon of Manila or Nao of China.
The struggles that was maintaining Spain with their European neighbors and the predominance that had established in American lands awoke the greed of the pirates English and Dutch that they had as objective the apprehension of the Nao of China.
When the king of Spain, Felipe II, was deposited of the fact that Ruy L�pez de Villanueva had arrived to Philippines ordered the conquest, in 1565, it is that island to use it as operations base in the distant east.
The cure Miguel Hidalgo y Costilla, who called to the armed raising independent, it named to Jos� M. Morelos y Pav�n his deputy to carry the revolutionary movement until the Pacific. Morelos entered to Guerrero territory in the year of 1810; combatted by more of five years against the realistic forces and after repeated attempts, in 1813 took the Fort of San Diego, after besieging it by more than two years.
The name of the Fort it should be to the holy employer of the viceroy of the New Spain, Diego Fern�ndez de C�rdoba.
Guerrero State �
Tour By Mexico �