The Mexico City Museum is located in the old
residence of the Counts of Calimaya, by the residential decree that originated it. It is
itself a historical monument that
Its main door is considered as one of the most beautiful of Mexico City and it was brought from the Philippines in a Chinese Ship. The white cedar carving represents the shields of the family names of the Counts of Santiago of Calimaya: Mendoza, Castilla, Altamirano and Velasco.
The main patio has arcades of Segovia-Renaissance style. Three of its sides are decorated with the shields of the county families, and a shell-type fountain shows a double-tailed Nereid playing the guitar, accompanied by children and dolphins. The stairway has wrought iron handrails and is escorted by two lions of carved stone.
In the right corner of the museum a prehispanic Head of Snake is embedded.
It seems it dates from the 15th. Century. It was extracted from the Templo
Mayor (Main Temple) to serve as foundation and, according to Salvador Novo, to
support the load of the viceroyalty
Almost 1300 postcards or small forms whisper in this study. Linked by the work of a hole life, they spread out as a mural or, why not, as an anti-mural.
A museum for the
exhibition, care and
conservation of the documents, relics,
and permanent exhibitions